How to Install Xerox WorkCentre 5855 in SB 532 on 64-Bit Ubuntu
Posted by Tim MacRae on 18 November 2013 02:49 PM
How to Install Xerox WorkCentre 5855 in SB 532 on 64-bit Ubuntu Linux
Please note that the Faculty of Science Technical Operations Group only offers support for vendor-supported versions of Red Hat Enterprise (including CentOS and Scientific Linux), Fedora, and Ubuntu!
These instructions are for 64-bit Ubuntu - please see the KB Article for Red Hat based installations (coming soon).
These instructions may work for other Debian variants, follow at your own risk.
Acquire the PPD Driver
1. Download the "WorkCentre5855.ppd" driver attached to the bottom of this KB article. Thank-you to Jim Weisert for extracting the PPD file.
Install via CUPS (KDE instructions provided below):
2. Run "Printer Configuration" from the K Menu
3. Click the "New Printer" button.
4. Select "Xerox WorkCentre 5855 v1 Multifunction Printer" from the list. If it does not appear, see "Manual Setup" section below.
5. Select "Forward" button.
6. Select the "Provide PPD file" radio button and then use the "Browse" button to navigate to the directory where you saved the PPD file from the first step.
7. Fill in the "Printer Name", "Description", and "Location" fields however you wish.
8. Press "OK" to finish.
9. Your printer will now be visible under the "Local Printers" section of the Printer Configuration control module.
10. Select your new printer and select "Print Test Page".
11. Verify the page printed correctly. If not, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
If you do not see the "Xerox WorkCentre 5855 v1 Multifunction Printer" in the list of available printers you can manually set it up by selecting either "AppSocket/HP JetDirect" or "LPD/LPR Host or Server"
Installing via AppSocket/HP JetDirect
1. Select "AppSocket/HP JetDirect" from the list of choices.
2. Enter in the printer's IP address into the "Host:" field - 188.8.131.52 and keep the port at 9100.
3. From here, follow steps 5 - 11 from the initial setup steps.
Installing via LPD/LPR Host or Server
1. Select "LPD/LPR Host or Server" from the list of choices.
2. Change the "Host:" dropdown box from "localhost" to blank
3. Enter in the printer's IP address into the blank "Host:" field - 184.108.40.206
4. Do not enter anything into the "Queue:" dropdown - it should remain blank.
5. From here, follow steps 5 - 11 from the initial setup steps.